
Just for the record, mangos are ruining my life. No, not really, but TRULY they are overwhelming! We have 2 big mango trees growing out of our rock-of-a-backyard, and they are out of control! (not as bad as our neighbor's, but still bad).
The other day my elderly neighbor made the trip to our driveway (she uses a walker) to inform me "you get plenty ripe mangos!" (it must be driving her crazy) "you like I pick some for you?" she asks. "No, no, I will get them, thank you." I reply. Like she can pick mangos. Have you ever seen a mango-picker? it's on a pole about 50 feet long, or longer! I recently broke ours in half (it's just not my thing!) so we have a 10-foot picker, which means all of the ripe ones up top will just drop. And, being that there is no grass, they will split and splatter when they hit the ground. Then come the gnats. And ants. And me, to pick them all up to throw them away. Josh and Kai'a can't even LOOK at a mango w/out breaking out in hives, and I don't like the taste, so here we are: stuck in mangos.
This morning I got up an hour before Kai'a normally wakes, to get some picked. I wish I had pictures (the ones I'm posting are from last week). Today I got 7 grocery bags FULL and that's all I had TIME for. I put them in a cooler by the road with a sign that says "$1 per mango-take a mango, leave a dollar" So far (knock on mango wood) it's been working well. Maybe people are sponging an extra globe or two, but I don't care. I might try mango bread this weekend.
My neighbor's tree is SO tall, I took a picture from below our roof and you still can barely see the fruit up there. He gets on his roof, uses an extension ladder from ON the roof, gets up the ladder, somehow wielding his 50-footer, and STILL can't reach them. He's old, too...shouldn't be up there. I signed Josh up for the job, though he doesn't know it yet. Maybe I'll have time to post more tomorrow. Today has just gone by too fast.
1 comment:
Hey Josh and Katie! I can't believe I "ran" into your blog! I think of you often and the weird things Josh used to do in the ER.....green mustaches! Hope you are both well. I'm pretty sure you don't miss Rexburg and the snow in June! The ER changed spots but most of the people are still the same! Take care.
Tauna Egan
www.egangarden.blogspot.com
(I'm just getting started with the whole blogging thing....)
Post a Comment